Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why we are surprised about Japan?

japan
I spent four months in Japan, and all that time never ceased to wonder how it's different in this amazing and mysterious Land of the Rising Sun. Format article does not allow to accommodate all that surprised me during my stay on the Japanese islands, therefore, confine myself to some observations on the transport.

First, cars

move contrary, that is, on the left side of the road that at first puzzling. In passing the road head persistently turned first left, then right (as taught in school). And only after two months of living in Japan, I developed a reflex to look first to the right, then left (which subsequently prevented me from returning to their homeland).

Secondly, a huge number of cyclists

. On two wheels move people of all ages - children, teens, boys, girls, women with shopping bags, men in expensive suits, retired. I swear, if I were in my hometown I saw my grandmother or grandfather on a bicycle, would have thought that the sun baked my head, that was the cause hallucinations!

At first I was terribly afraid bicycle bell could be heard everywhere. I thought I was the driver of a two-wheeled transport does not stretch on a narrow sidewalk path, and the accident is not avoided. I walked the streets in a wild strain, so as not to miss a single signal cyclist. But after a month or two I was so used to rushing around bikes that simply ceased to notice them.

Thirdly, traffic lights

. As my girlfriend, whom I, indeed, was a guest: «No dozhdeshsya green, give birth have time». If, intending to cross the road, you see a green traffic lights, even if he blinks, go! It will blink for at least another half a minute. And then the red lights common for vehicles and pedestrians, and you will have 20-30 seconds to cross the road.

If you miss this opportunity, once again the green will have to wait long. A few minutes under the scorching sun near the hot cars seem like an eternity. I decided to read the verses to himself, to kill time. And it turned out, during the switching of traffic lights can be an expression recite many works!

The second month of stay in Japan, I bought myself a new MP3-Player , who once was the culprit is not very nice stories. Once I walked along the street one-way traffic. Sidewalks - a rarity on the small streets, people walk right on the carriageway. I began to cross the street and then saw that some guy coming towards me waving his hand. Then, even through the headphones, I heard the squeal of brakes behind him and turned around. Car was about twenty feet from me, and sat behind the wheel of the terrified driver.

Then I realized what was happening. It turned out I just confused the direction of motion. The street was deserted, and I was sure that if it and the car will appear, he will go to meet me. Apparently, the driver signaled me in the back, but to no avail. I took off my headphones and babbled in Japanese: «Sorry», preparing for what is to me a barrage of fair in a situation of abuse and accusations. «Well, I do not know Japanese curses and I do not understand», - flashed through my head.

The driver opened the window and asked sympathetically «Are you okay?». Surprised, I replied that I was all good, and I'm very sorry, and pointed to the headphones. Japanese smiled and said: «The main thing that you're all right. And then I was so scared for you. Rode at high speed, I thought, signaled, and thou shalt go, barely had time to brake. Sorry ». I was shocked. In my hometown of motorists do not always stop the red lights, and there before me apologize for what I have, plugged ears, walking on the carriageway and not hear the signal!

Hai-Wei - another indicator of the order reigning in the country. According to one lane moving trucks and buses, on the other - cars. If you do not want to travel at a speed of 150-200 kilometers per hour - in the first strip! A huge number of cars on the highway do not interfere with each other, because everyone knows the rules, and nobody is going to violate them.

Bus stops and train stations - that I was particularly surprised. People take part! No one stormed the door, pushes forward, always go to the salon in turn. Of course, at first I did not know about that rule, but nobody blamed me and not sent to the end of the queue. «Foreigner» - probably thought the Japanese, and calmly came to the bus according to the order.

Japan - an amazing country, and have been there once, many dream of returning.

Olena Kravchuk
http://traveldin.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment